Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.
~ Jim Rohn
At the beginning of a new year, it is common for me to look back at the work that is happening in the world of bullying and, for me, bullying recovery. This year was the most important year for me in the 8+ years that I have dedicated my life to helping spread information about the issues of bullying and bullying recovery. This is the amazing story of what happened this year and what is to come in 2016.
First, some of the bad news of statistics in 2015:
- 55,000 children have taken their lives, due in part to bullying over the last 7 years.
- 160,000 children stay at home each day out of fear this year due to bullying.
- 60% of 4th to 8th graders say they have suffered from bullying in the last year.
- Cyberbullying was on the rise this last year.
- Workplace bullying is becoming a larger issue being reported this year.
- The term Complex PTSD or CPTSD is now used more commonly for the long-term effects of bullying on adults who suffer years after being bullied as a youth.
I know, it seems as though we are not getting anywhere. But, here’s some truth. Just having people focused on reporting these statistics, just to have the psychology world offer a term for the long-term effects of bullying, just knowing you are not alone are all good things. We can take comfort in that it is an issue being continually focused on by a larger group of people each year.
My good news in 2015:
So, there is some good news in the bad news. For me, it was a move to change from sharing only bullying stories, to focusing on bullying recovery. This is one I went through and also wanted to share with others. My journey is mine, but I know now that I had to deal with it over the last 8+ years and wanted to share that. Here’s what I am doing for my part.
- I fully committed myself both physically and financially to creating the company “Bullying Recovery, LLC”. I will be focusing on helping find ways to support and hopefully cure those who suffer with the long-term effects of bullying.
- A year ago, I was putting the completing touches on my memoir of my journey from a youth of being bullied to my recovery as an adult called “A Ladder In The Dark: My journey from bullying to self-acceptance”. The book was published in June of 2015 and, I am happy to say that it has been getting great reviews. I hope, if you are dealing with a bullying problem, you’ll consider reading this book and learning how I dealt with it. Maybe it will help you too.
- I also had a story about bullying recovery published in “Tiny Buddha’s 365 Tiny Love Challenges”. I love Tiny Buddha and was honored to be included in her book.
- I began a Podcast, talking to other wonderful people trying to help other’s build a better and healthier life called “Healthy University”.
Whew, I am pretty tired from this year. But I have a mission and will continue on. So, what next?
What does 2016 look like:
I will announce it here first. The podcast for “Healthy University” is only the tip of the iceberg (funny that that is what kids called me that hurt me in my youth). It is the beginning of a new initiative that includes many others who share in my belief of creating and offering a better and healthier way to live. We must create a community for recovery and a safe haven for those that suffer from these long-term effects. I am more dedicated than ever to helping recover those with bullying and CPTSD issues from youth abuse and even adult abuse.
I hope you will continue to join me on this year’s journey. I promise on my end to continue to be as dedicated this year as I was last year. For me, that should mean a lot of work and a lot of challenges. You can help. How:
- Read my book and understand what recovery from CPTSD can look like
- Follow my twitter feed @bullyinglte
- Follow my Facebook page to learn more as well at: https://www.facebook.com/bullyingrecovery/
- Comment to the posts here with your own feeling and knowledge
- Post on the forums here to add your thoughts and help guide what’s important
- Check out my links page and add more links that you find on the issues of bullying, stress, anxiety, depression, positive thinking, and CPTSD
- Spread the word that we are not standing still. We are not going to take bullying and these issues lightly.
- Finally, be a loving person to yourself and to others. You have a choice. You can sit and be passive about these issues or help take action. I am here as one voice in a growing community of people that want to make a difference on the issue of bullying. You can join me at any time. Submit a story to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be a part of what we are doing.
So be on the lookout, because you may find that, this year, there will be a place to educate you to be healthier and to recover. A place where a large community of experts will be there to help you and others be a Healthy U. A hint for now, but get ready, because I ,and many others, are dedicated to seeing you be a better you. That is my new year’s resolution and my new tag line. Be a better you today and work on it every day.
I look forward to talking to you more in 2016. I am always here. ~Alan